Well, my first blog. Thought it might be the best way to get this stuff out. Trip started off great. At Newark, I got upgraded to business class and had a great flight. The steak was overcooked but the 4 glasses of wine made up for it. Landed at Shannon airport and my cousin, Anita, whom I haven’t seen since 1989 picked me up with her 2 kids. Looks and acts a lot like my sister, she is definitely related. She is the closest to me in age, but started having kids at age 21 (accidently). She is such a mom. Those two little maniacs are her whole life and I am definitely not rea
So, the weather sucks, and this side of Ireland (the West) is kind of rural. I think the physical beauty might be nice in the summer, but with this cold wetness, it is kind of boring me so far. I saw the Cliffs of Moher, which were stunning. The kids complained the whole hour and a half ride out. Anita was firm with them and I was kind of sarcastic the whole time. Not sure if I helped, but at least they were somewhat distracted. Then I spent the day in Galway, which is a pretty cool little city.
I saw my Aunt and Uncle another 2 hours from here. They are so isolated that the government had to put up 89 telephone poles for them to get service. On the ride home, we listened to Anita’s iPod. It was basically all music from my high school years. Ranging from good (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins) to bad (Bon Jovi) to unlistenable (Matchbox 20). Even a few Hootie & the Blowfish live tracks. Then Bruce Springsteen came on with Glory Days, that classic about people living for their pasts. Is lack of new music just another way of reliving your “Glory Days”.
I am really looking forward to heading off on my own soon.
Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines
(right click to save)
No comments:
Post a Comment